Friday, July 30, 2010

Thinking

I've been thinking a lot lately. In less than a month I will (if things go to plan) begin my last year of College. So I have roughly a year to "figure out what I'm going to do" with the rest of my life. It's kind of daunting when you think about it, which is probably why I haven't very much. I've been wanting to enjoy myself and not get stressed out with all that future stuff. But now I have to. It's either that or graduate directionless, which is not a particularly attractive option.

So lately I've been thinking a lot. And you know what? It's really not as bad as I thought it would be. It has been quite beneficial actually. I've found that it's much worse to think about thinking about things than to actually think about them. Effort is always better than non-effort, regardless of how well-meaning it pretends to be. That being said, I am starting to get some direction and feel much better about the future and things are generally better all around. Thumbs up.

This got me thinking about why it took me so long to start thinking and about how much better off I could have been months and years ago if I had just had a little more diligence and foresight. Why did I settle for existence (an albeit, most likely, above average one) when with a little more effort I could have thrived? The simple answer is laziness. It was easier to make decisions that required the least amount of effort to yield the results I could live with, rather than put in the hard work and risk failure. Bad choice.

So now I'm thinking and I would encourage you to do the same. More on this later.

No comments: